Karl Fischer Titration - 860 Thermoprep From Metrohm
Metrohm’s new 860 KF Thermoprep is a revolutionary new instrument which takes Karl Fischer method determination of water content in sample to a whole new level. Even with the most difficult of samples, the 860 KF Thermoprep makes it a quick, simple process; even with insoluble samples! Samples which react with the KF reagent or can’t be used directly in the titration vessel are no problem.
Instead of placing the sample in a weighing boat before placing them in the over, samples are placed into their own individual sample vials which are tightly sealed. The 860 KF Thermoprep’s oven can be used with any coulometric or volumetric Karl Fischer titrator.
Since the sample doesn’t go into the titration cell, determining the content of historically problematic samples is possible; some of the difficult sample which the 860 KF Thermoprep can handle include:
- Plastics and inorganic salts which release water only at very high temperatures or too slowly for traditional methods to be practical
- Samples which have low solubility in alcohol (especially plastics)
With these types of samples, extensive sample preparation is required. Alternately, highly toxic solvents may be recommended – in either case, the Metrohm 860 Karl Fisher Thermoprep makes this unnecessary.
- Oils which contain additives
- Personal care products
- Ascorbic acid and other samples which react with KF reagents and produce unreliable results
These are only some of the types of samples which are challenging to determine the water content of using traditional KF methods. The 860 KF Thermoprep also prevents the problem of titration cell contamination, reducing the need to change the titration solution and clean the cell.
Features of the Metrohm 860 Karl Fischer Thermoprep include:
- 50 - 250 °C temperature range
- Reduced sample preparation to save time and increase productivity
- Improved sample water release; carrier gas passes through, rather than over the sample
- Process does not contaminate the oven or titration cell, reducing maintenance needs
- Accurate, highly reproducible analytic conditions and precise, reliable results
The Metrohm 860 KF Thermoprep comes in three varieties; as a standalone oven, as a oven with coulometric KF or as an oven with volumetric Karl Fischer titration for low and high water levels, respectively.
Date added: 2015-05-25 13:02:17